On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:24:45 -0500, you wrote:

Sounds like he could be having memory problems.  Suggest he get his
memory checked...he could have a bad simm...whatever he has for RAM.
The problem he is having sounds too suspiciously like that.  Where he
is able to get a boot up sometimes and sometimes not.   Sounding more
like hardware than a software problem.  I have noticed that this
latest build is more hardware sensitive than earlier.
Leastways...thats how it seems.

Now..if his ram checks out ok, than he should do a re-install of 5.3
and see if that works since he says he had no problems with it.   If
it works ...than make sure he formats all partitions including the
swap and than do an install of 6.0.