My earlier post asked about how much the /dev directory files were like
regular files.  Specifically, I talked about checking a CD that had been
burned with the ISO image using the md5sum file provided on the mirrors.
It doesn't work.  I don't know what a .iso file is, exactly, that is, if
it's a file system that can be burned onto the CD bit for bit, and maybe
even mounted under Linux (I never thought to try this while I had the ISO
image, and it's gone now for space reasons).
My experiment involved two tests:
md5sum --check=md5sum (the filename in the input file was changed to
/dev/cdrom instead of mandrake60-1.iso)
md5sum /dev/cdrom >md5sum.out
Neither of which worked.  Unfortunately, I don't have the error message
with me now.  If anybody's interested, I can post it Monday when I get
back to my computer (this is being written on a different computer).
Ah, well.  It was a neat idea- or so I thought.

-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>