I hope somebody can correct me if I am wrong...
I think u need to extract it as root.  It looks like the tar file is
also trying to restore the permissions and ownership of the original
files...

But the error message is kinda wierd...anyone with better
comments...(I'm sorry for going round the bush and not being of much
help)..