There are actually a bunch of mini-distributions that can be used for
rescue/boot purposes...there are some that even run X!

look for tomsrtbt and go to hteir webpage...they have links to other
mini-distributions on one/two/several floppies....
(example : tomsrtbt, loaf, lrp, mulinux, cclinux, etc...)