There are many reasons this speed difference could be occurring.

For example, in network ppp setup, you might try playing with the MTU/MRU
parameters.  For me, the best value seems to be 1064, but your mileage may
vary.

Netscape for linux version 4.6 has some real problems.  Follow the instructions
at linux-mandrake.com to downgrade to 4.51 or try using kfm to do your
browsing.  Not only is it fast, but you can drag files from a remote window to
a local window in a "copy" operation instead of trying "shift-click".  My only
use of netscape is for email since I receive a lot of HTML mail.

Also, using kfm, you will discover what sites have been done with
poorly-designed Microsoft editors.  You'll be able to take snapshots of broken
graphics and cryptic Microsoft access error messages and send them to
webmasters and give them the URL to Tucows and the reference to the wonderful
"Demoroniser" program.  (Ah well, it passes time).

As for splitting, Linux does in fact split.  try several ftp windows or
different http windows, not using Netscape 4.6.

Now if you want netscape to be a better netscape, surf on over to
www.mozilla.org and look at snapshots, and comment on your experience with
them, back to the folks at mozilla.org.  There is amusement as well as
frustration with being on the bleeding edge.  BTW I think they're working on
the opensource clone to Netscape 5.0 now.

Civileme