Civileme:

Thanks for your replies and ideas.  What I mean by a 'standalone' computer
is simply that it is not part of a local area network or LAN.  That's all.
When I dial up the Internet, I connect to it for a while then disconnect
from it and revert to a standalone, or, if one prefers, a Workstation
status.  That's all I meant.  Does that clarify  'standalone' for you?

Richard