----------
> From: FORNWALL  JOSHUA JOHN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: newbie list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [newbie] No network connection
> Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 1:54 PM
>

> I've got Linux installed on a 5x86 133 with 12MB of RAM, and a 400MB hard
> disk with an Allied Telesis 1500T ethernet card.  I have a network
> set up with the linux machine, and two
> windows machines.  The network card in the Linux box is recognized by the
> OS, and when I try to ping the other machines, the transmit light
flashes,
> but it doesn't get any responses from either windows machine.  Likewise,
> when I ping from the windows machines, they can hear each other fine, but
> they don't get a response from the Linux machine.  Can anyone help?

>From personal experience, it sounds like your ethernet card isn't support
with Linux. Even though it detects and works, I had to same problem with an
NE2000 card (which is way common by the way). If I ran TCPDUMP and pinged
from a windows or another linux machine I could see it coming in just fine.
I changed cables and nothing, then I swapped the card for another ethernet
card (a 3com 3c509) and it finally worked.

Jeremy