It's perhabs also a good to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH variable in
/etc/profile because a lot of tar ball's install by default their bin's in
/usr/local/bin. Another alternative is to do a ./configure --prefix=/usr, in
that case the bin's go in /usr/bin, everything gets prefixed with /usr
instead of /usr/local. You can try a ./configure --help | more to see all te
options.

marc