> > > Yes.  Run kdmconfig as root and there is a "Background" tab.  You should
> > > be able to change the background there.
> >
> > How about changing the penguin logo in the text-based login?  Is there a
> > text file for the login message?  How are color codes set--by ANSI?
>
> Look at /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and /etc/issue*. yes it's ansi

Thanks.  I just got done doing battle with DOS.  I was victorious, and I
was able to overcome the fact that the DOS HELP command doesn't support
saving copies of the documents to disk.  Hehehe.  I renamed QBASIC.HLP
to QBASIC.BAK and HELP.HLP (or DOS.HLP?) to QBASIC.HLP, and then I
started Qbasic and searched for hel on Config.  I browsed through the
links to finally wind up with ANSI.SYS/Syntax.  I clipped out the part
that covers colors and cursor relocation, saved it to disk, touched it
up, and printed it.

Now I have a nice reference!  I can email it to all who ask for it.

What happens if I use high-bit characters?  I'd like to do a cool text
mode graphic, but the standard text characters are a bit limiting.

By the way, I got the reference so I could make a snazzy motd.

If I want to make it truly pretty, I suppose I have to edit the login
command's source code so that it does whatever I want.  But that's too
much work.  For now.