> Thank you for your answer. By the way you understood the whole question very
> well.

Cool.

> My modem is an Olitec 56k, and I bought it 3 days ago.

Did you intend to use it with Linux when you got it?  Do you have the
ability to exchange it for another one that's more Linux-friendly?

> I heard that it did only work with windows, but that some people were
> working on a special driver that could make it work with linux. Did you
> hear of it ??

No.  I haven't heard.

When did you find out that it was Windows-only?

Try using it in DOS (with no Windows running)--if you have DOS.  It
shouldn't work if it's a Winmodem.