The information provided to me below by Jason was very helpful in
understanding how to query and configure my serial ports in Linux and
X-Windows(Thanks, Jason), but I still haven't been able to get the isapnp
utility to assign a free I/0 port to my internal pnp modem.  I need to free
up the following resources in order to get my modem working:

1.  One of the I/O ports that is currently in use by com1(cua0), com2(cua1),
com3(cua2), or com4(cua3)

2.  One of the IRQ's that is in use by my serial ports(IRQ 3 or 4).

After reading the man pages on setserial, I tried to use the following
command to disable a serial port:

setserial cua1 uart none

I thought that the above command would disable COM2, and free up it's
resources so that my internal modem could use them.  I tried to run isapnp
after using the 'setserial cua1 uart none' but the program informed me that
there was still a conflict with the I/O port that i specified in my
isapnp.conf file(the port that I thought I released from COM2).

Is anyone out there using an internal plug-and-play ISA modem successfully
with Linux?

Thanks,

Joe Patton