On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Mark E Hood wrote:
> Yes. Count me as also having had this problem. I, too, would love to know
> how to fix it. Seems to be a problem.
> mark

I too had problems with KDE though it never got so bad I had to reset thereby
causing disk corruption. In the future, when KDE or anyother X app on any
desktop causes a lock up, try to get out of it by using the kill command.
If X locks up, try this, In example:
Use Ctrl + Alt + F2  (you will see a new tty come up with the standard login
prompt)
Login as root and then type in the root password
At the prompt, type:
ps ax
you will get a screen full of information of all the running processes, on the
far left are numbers (like 552, 553 and so on) these are the PID's (process
Identification Number, I believe.) anyway, the last two should be your new
login, usually bash (or whatever shell you normally use) and the,  ps ax
command you just entered. Usually the one right above them is the process that
is the culprit. Write down the PID of that process. Then at the prompt type the
following:
kill <PID # >
ie:
kill 556

That will kill that process and hopefully free up X.
Now use Ctr + Alt +F7 to return to your Xsession and see if it worked. It
always has seemed to work for me. (I think I had to do this three times.)

As a last resort, if the X session just won't free up, use Ctrl + Alt +
backspace to kill the Xsession and return to a prompt ( at that time a reboot
might be a good idea as the system might have been rendered unstable)
so use shutdown -r now ( shutdown -h now  - to shut it down) never ever
turn off Linux when running if you can ever avoid it.

Also, if you (like Me) do not want to use KDE and hate to have to change the
default on the Xwindow  login all the time. Use a text editor (any will do) and
create a file called "desktop" (without the quotes of course) and place it in
the /etc/sysconfig dirrectory. It should contain one line, which should be the
desktop environment you want to use, such as the following.
GNOME
or
KDE
or
AnotherLevel
Just the one line in the same case as above. Xinit will look here first, if
this file exists it will use this setting to start X, you will still get a
prompt for Login and password but it might be a different format depending on
your choice of dektop environment.

As to getting back to normal now, I wish I knew more, I am a newbie too, if you
get no better sugestions you might try to re-install using the upgrade option.
You will still keep any new stuff you put in, but KDE and gnome will start from
scratch with the default settings. So you will loose any customizations to your
desktop you applied. Perhaps someone else can offer a better solution?

John Love
[EMAIL PROTECTED]