I'm not sure what the "AGP version" is but I'm definitely using a Diamond
Fire GL 1000 with X-windows.  You'd want to use the XF86_3DLabs server with
it if you're using a fairly recent version of XFree86.  Otherwise, there used
to be a good 3DLabs server available from XSuSE that you may be able to find
on SuSE's website (try http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html).  I  also use
1024x768x16 as my standard resolution/color depth.  I'm running Mandrake 6.0
with kdm (runlevel 5) which requires me to add a "DefaultColorDepth 16" line
to my screen section in my XF86Config in order to get the 16 bit color
depth.  If you're not going to be using kdm, you'd probably want something
like "startx -- -bpp 16" in your .bash_profile (somebody may want to correct
me on this; this is where I used to have it, I think) to achieve the same
thing.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Beacham Tim P wrote:

> I see the Diamond Fire GL 1000 (AGP version) under the supported list on
> xfree.org but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in using it
> with X windows.    Can I at least get 1024x768-16bit using that card?
>
> My distributor has it on sale for 35 bones and I could not lay off...

>   Tim Beacham, HDIS ¤ Barrow Medical Center
>        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Infamous last words of Socrates, "I drank what?"
begin:vcard
n:Bauman;Carl
tel;fax:(210) 592-2027
tel;work:(210) 592-4018
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Ultramar Diamond Shamrock Corporation;Information Technology
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Business Analyst
note:Alternate email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]