On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, David Kammer wrote:

> Hi All,
> Odd question.  It seems as if only root is allowed to start proccesses
> with low port numbers like 80 (httpd is not running on my machine).  when
> non-su's try to do this, the port allocation simply fails.  My question is
> is there a way to allow a user to start low port proccesses without giving
> them full su status?
> thanks,
> -dave

There are various solutions, but this is one I have been given privileges
with. Others can provide more complete info...

        Sudo - a utility to allow restricted root access
Sudo (superuser do) allows a system administrator to give certain users
(or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root
while logging all commands and arguments. Sudo operates on a per-command
basis, it is not a replacement for the shell.

                 http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/

best wishes,

richard myers