For those of us that don't yet have access to ADSL or a T1
connection you might want to try the following.

1 - Locate the rc.local file and add the following line to
setserial to boost the port speed

setserial /dev/ttyS<x> spd_vhi

replace <x> by the port number (ttyS0, ttyS1, etc.) mine is
/dev/modem

2 - Turn off Van Jacobsen compression for PPP. In the PPP
argument box of KPPP add 'novj'.

3 - Set the MRU and MTU to low values. Both MRU and MTU can be
set to 296 or 576.

Number 1 gives me the most improvement. If you are doing large
file transfers you might not want to skip number 3 but if you
just surf the web give it a try. Try these one step at a time.
That way you'll know which step gives the most improvement and if
one happens to slow the connection down or has no effect you'll
know which to reverse (although I have never had that happen).

Bob Gilley