Uhh, maybe read that one more time ;) , what does diskdrake have todo with
the windowmanager?

If you use gnome with enlightenment for the windowmanager, you'll find a
save settings option (towards the bottom) when you alt-right_button on an
application. This is the only windowmanager i know that does this, it's
generaly left upto the application to save it's own size and shape, and
the window manager for positioning.