John,

Yes, you still have the 1023 cylinder limit because LILO uses the old int13
interface of the PC which SCSI BIOS must emulate. I've got a SCSI only system
and I put an 8MB /boot partition at the beginning. My system is completely M$
 free.  The motherboard is a dual PII and Mandrake installed with no problem.
6.0 ships with 2.2.9-19. Mandrake's site has 2.2.9-27 along with new
initscripts. If you upgrade get both.  I downloaded all the upgrade packages at
work and used an LS120 to get it home.  The only problems I've had was
modifying the 2.2.10 kernel makefiles to do pentium optimization. Mandrake
changed the Makefile/scripts in more ways than just the optimization. I almost
forgot, get the updated LILO too.

good luck
scott

On 10-Aug-99 John Aldrich wrote:
> Well, let me recap what I *do* have (hardware wise):
> I have a PCI/ISA-ONLY motherboard with DUAL-PPro 200's.
> I have 192 megs of RAM, almost 11 GIGS of drive space (heck, I might
> dual-boot Red Hat 6 and Mandrake just for the fun of it <G>)
> I have an Advansys Ultra SCSI PCI card. On-board is an SB-16/clone built-in.
> Still to get: Floppy, Network and Video. AGP is out -- no AGP slot on a
> PPro. :-)
>
> If I read all the threads correctly, I should IMMEDIATELY get the updated
> kernels and SOX, etc. Which files are the "initscripts"? I am used to doing
> a "custom" install with everything except the foreign-language "how-to"
> files, and I'll certainly have the drivespace for it. With SCSI, do I still
> need to have the /boot in the first 1023 cylinders? If so, I may have /boot
> on an IDE and boot from IDE and have the rest of the system on my 9.1 GB
> SCSI.
>
> Let me also recap that I'm NOT exactly a newbie, but I'm no expert either...
>:-) I've been running Linux for the past 6 months at work (dual-booting
> between Linux and Win98, mostly staying in Linux <G>) I think I'm taking on
> a bit of a challenge here setting up an SMP machine. :-)
>         John

E-Mail: scott worley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09-Aug-99
Time: 20:59:43

This message was sent by XFMail