The Olitec PCI Modem is a software modem. I own a small computer business
and I carries these myself. [Before you try to say I'm cheap and stuff, I
will mention to customers that they are software modems and explain it to
them the disadventages likes it will only work with 95/98 and it slows their
computer down and stuff but most people will still buy them cause they're
1/2 the price of regular modems]. However, usually LINUX users [I can tell
as they will ask for Hardware Modems or ask if it is  WinMOdem] will buy
hardware modems.