When I install Linux-Mandrake, I set up the modem first under KPPP. The
device is set to ttyS1. Then I set up the rest of my PPP seatings. I then
am able to successfully dial my ISP. The modem (sportster 56K internal)
works GREAT!

The next step in setting up mandrake is setting up the sound. So I type
/usr/sbin/sndconfig and the system automatically detects my sound card and
sets it up. Then it says that the file /etc/conf.modules already exists and
backs it up as /etc/conf.modules.bak. That's it. My PnP SB16 sound card is
setup and works GREAT.

Now the modem doesn't work after setting up the sound card. I keep getting
"modem is busy" and I can't dial out. The sound card and the modem DO NOT
share the same resources. I did not EVER have this problem in Mandrake 5.3.

I deleted /etc/conf.modules and replaced it with /etc/conf.modules.bak and
renamed it accordingly. The modem still don't work. Even after rebooting.
What do I need to do to fix this mess?

Postman