James,

I've installed Mandrake, RH, SuSE, and Caldera on a Compaq Armada 7400 docked
or undocked without any problem.  Compaq uses cable select on all their drives
so you don't have to worry about master/slave jumpers. Does your laptop use
cable select or jumpers.  Are the two drives hda and hdb identical?  The diag
dump shows they are the same model but hdb is not reporting a serial number.
If you have two drives on the same cable and they are both jumpered as master
then you could possible be getting responses from the first drive(hda) when the
ATA ID command is sent to the second drive(hdb).  What are the three IDE
devices connected to your system?  Or are there only two as your message below
suggests?

scottw

On 14-Aug-99 James Schofield wrote:

> Ok,
>
> this is one of the problems..
>
> I am trying to install Linux on a Laptop/docking station combo. I have the
> laptop with an internal IDE drive and with the port connection to the
> docking station I can have another IDE drive in the docking station giving
> me 2 drives on the system.
>
> BUT Linux does not detect it correctly.
>
> This is an output from OPEN LINUX system analyser. I have used this because
> Mandrake does not have anything like this I that I have found.
>
> Take a look and tell me what you think is happening.. Thanks
>
> James

E-Mail: scott worley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14-Aug-99
Time: 14:55:21

This message was sent by XFMail