I know I had a similar problem after a bad unmount problem.  The Mandrake
login screen disappeared and was replaced with the standard KDE login screen
and no Shutdown button.  I stumbled upon the solution by accident.

If you log in as root and start up the KDE configuration program (sorry I
can't remember the name - I am at work on Windows - it is the program you
use to change backgrounds etc and has a button on the panel).  In there you
will find the LOGIN manager.  Under teh login amanager you will find a whole
heap of things you can configure.  You will find a section on Shutdown
permissions (I think I used Shutdown for all) that put the Shutdown button
back on the login screen.

There is also a section on sessions.  Add a session called kde (otherwise
kde sort of disappears).  You can also add WindowMaker.  I did this creating
two possible sessions KDE and WindowMaker, however after a while (proabably
a restart)  all the options miraculously returned (IceWM etc).  I'm not
quite sure why that happened.

There is also an option that gives an icon for various users.  This was not
part of the default configuration for Mandrake, though it is for Caldera.
It does speed up login (not that typing your username is particularly slow).
There are a few other things you can configure as well (startup screen
wallpaper etc).

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, as I said I'm at work and don't have a
linux box in front of me.

Hope this helps.

Aaron