> hi, a followup and another question...
> first, re mouse problem, gpm is installed. how do i go about obtaining and
> installing the latest kernal and initscripts? (layman's terms, please...)
>
> second, today the program (kde) hung up and wasn't going anywhere. this has
> happened once before, and,just like last time, i ended up having to restart
> the computer, which causes all sorts of problems when rebooting (last time i
> ended up re-installing, haven't done anything with iti yet this time). i end
> up getting these messages that there are errors on dev/hdb4, etc., etc., and
> then it turns things over to the root (which is me, which doesn't do me any
> good, because i haven't the first clue as to what needs to be fixed, or how
> to fix it!)
>
> so, any ideas out there as to how to avoid the restart in the first place,
> and what to do if/when it is inevitable?

Can you telnet into your computer?  If so, then log in as root and kill
the sticky processes.

Ctrl+Alt+BkSp is supposed to kill the X server.  Try that.

I have a mouse problem too... the only solution I know of is to move the
mouse from the PS/2 port (/dev/pxaux) to the COM1: port (/dev/ttsyS0).
I don't want to do that since I only have two serial ports.  One of them
is for the modem, and I'd like to keep a null modem cable on the other
(so I can maybe communicate with this laptop).  How can I fix the PS/2
port?

Andy Goth     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      zap.to/andygoth     ICQ: 35256413
"Success is a disease; it can make smart people think they can't lose."
                                -- Bill Gates, on why IBM is going down
                                 (as seen in Pirates of Silicon Valley)
"Down with big brother!"                               -- George Orwell