The Postman wrote:

> My modem and sound card WILL NOT work in Linux. I have reset the bios which
> made everything get new IRQ addresses and such. But that just don't seem to
> work.
>
> I still can NOT get Linux-Mandrake fully installed.
>
> My BIOS says that my modem is at IRQ 11 on COM 3 (ttyS2). Well, when I boot
> the computer, Linux puts out a line durring bootup that says...
>
> ttyS2 at 0X3E8 (IRQ=4) is a 16550A
>
> I don't understand how this can be possible. How can the Linux operating
> system see the modem at "IRQ 4" when the bios says it is at IRQ 11. The
> settings in Windows 98 even say that the modem is operating at IRQ 11.

I took a few big snips out of the middle of the message, it doesn't
change the advice I'm going to give you.  Linux does not go searching
for IRQs for serial ports like Windows does.  If your modem is at IRQ
11, use the setserial utility to tell Linux what IRQ your modem is
using.

Here's the command you'd use:

        setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 11

After that, everything should be fine.  If it all works, add that
command to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it will be executed
automatically everytime you boot.

Let us know what happens...

--
Steve Philp