I had a similar video configuration problem.  The default setting
Xconfigurator was choosing was giving a black screen with blackish icons (I
think that means that the refresh rates don't synch).  My problem was solved
by manually choosing my display settings in Xconfigurator.  Another thing I
tried is reducing the type of monitor to one not quite so good (in custom
monitor section).  My monitor, being on the cheaper end of the scale does
not work well at its maximum settings.  By reducing the setting the picture
quality improved considerably.

I suffered similar problems using my hardware with Windows 95.  My monitor
does not perform well at its maximum refresh rates etc and I have terrible
problems under Win95 with my AWE64 soundcard.  If the soundcard is enabled
in the device manager, Windows will not boot.  I have to boot with the
soundcard disabled and then manually turn on the soundcard using Device tab
- a real pain in the arse if you forget to turn it off at the end of the
session (Windows crashes on startup, reboot into safe mode, turn soundcard
off, reboot again).

I might have problems with sound permissions with my Linux box, but at least
the card makes noise!