Bottom line:

INtel made the P-III to sell new computer chips so manufacturers could sell new computers.  Their marketing department is extremely smart.

Fact is, they're working on a new 64-bit processor called the Merced which they will NEED to keep up with that fire-breathing Athlon, a processor already ready for a 200 MHz Front Side Bus.

So, will Linux support an orphan processor?  Most likely someone will get enough of a kick from tweaking the last iota of computing power out of it.

I get a big kick out of showing the Celeron to be the equal of the P-II<g>, so it is sure to float someone's boat to produce Speckled Horse Linux just to make the P-III look good.

Of course, it chagrins me to admit that NOTHING I do cannot be handled by an IDT C6 at 180 MHz, but there it is.  Computers have been faster than fast enough for most of us for a while.

Save your money for the Merced.  IBM, VA linux, Intel, and a few others are already porting linux to it.

Civileme

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am upgrading my computer from a PII 266 to something faster. I am
considering a PIII 450 for 319$ or i can go for a PII 400 for 100 less. Does
Linux (and future apps) use the extra PIII extentions, or should i get the
PII? I am not on a tight budget (somewhat) but $100 is $100.

thanks
jerrud

--
Civileme Say:

"One who buys on leading edge soon know feeling of slide down razor blade of
life."