Make it a shell script by burying it in a file called 'othernet.sh', or
any name of your choice.  The text you want to type into the file goes
like this

     #!/bin/sh
     telnet other.net.com

Store the file in /usr/local/bin and then cd to /usr/local/bin and type
'chmod 766 othernet.sh'

Now I'm not so sure about linking it to the desktop.  If it works ala
Windows use the visual file manager to go to /usr/local/bin.  From there
you should be able to drag the file to the desktop.

This doesn't take care of your kppp problem though.  That I'm unfamiliar
with because I'm on cable and haven't had to look at that aspect of
Linux.

I would also look at the hidden directories and files while I'm in the
visual file manager.  There may be a way of dragging the link that loads
ktelnet to the desktop.