These addresses are for DNS )Domain Name Servers(.  For your ISP, Rick,
they are

209.165.6.251    shang-ti.lightspeed.net
209.165.57.12    tlaloc.lightspeed.net

And AFAIK, he does need real numbers there, not even a *.*.*.*

And it is part of Kppp's setup dialog box to do the edit on
/etc/resolve.conf transparent to the user.

Civileme

Rick Fry wrote:

> My ISP [and former employer] uses DHCP and all addresses are server
> assigned. Will it accept a quad 0 address?
>
> >Andy Goth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >With Mandrake 6.0, I'm trying to connect to the Internet using this new
> >56K modem.  It dials... it connects... and then it disconnects.
> >
> >It says something about pppd timing out.
> >
> >I've attached my PPP-logfile.  Maybe it'll help.
> >Have you appropriately edited your /etc/reolve.conf?
> >add
> >search <your isp>
> >nameserver <dns# provided by your isp>
> >nameserver <dns# provided by your isp>
> >
> >That should do it  8^)
> >Mike

> >Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at
> >http://webmail.netscape.com.

Civileme Say:

"He who buys Pentium III had lots of bucks"