Just to check if I've understood correctly (I'm not sure if I do).

IF I do usermod -G audio your_username that will allow your_username to
access audio devices IN ADDITION TO the users that currently have sound.
This works if I am using dev, pam and sndconfig off the Mandrake ftp site (I
installed from CD is there a difference?).

Otherwise pam is controlling sound and I am limited to root +1 user.  If
that is the case can I disable pam from audio and how would I do it?

Thanks for your time.