Justin Fisher wrote:

> Absolutely Not.  There are substitutes for PAM.  How has unix evolved
> these 30 some years w/o it?  What about shadow and md5? or just shadow
> and des?  or just plain des for that matter.  I dont care if i dont have a

I snipped the paragraphs of ranting and raving, since they really had
absolutely no value whatsoever.

You listed quite a few distributions that ship without PAM, pick one.
The rest of us rather LIKE the fact that we can easily implement new
authentication methods without having to recompile half our systems.

If they're non-PAM distributions are so prevalent, choose one of them.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator