Tom Bishop wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> > Last night i bought the boxed version of Caldera. Is it like Mandrake when it
> > comes to Red Hat copatability ?
> >
> > jerrud
>
> Yes and no.  It looks very much like Mandrake what with its KDE desktop, but it
> is not tied so closely with the RPM package management (dept. of redundancy,
> dept.). You will do a lot more untarring and compiling with Caldera, but that
> is not necessarily a bad thing. It sure made me learn more.  I like Caldera and
> have it installed now in a virtual machine so I can keep learning from it.
> However, KDE is all you get from the box, which may or may not be OK, depending
> on your level of Windows tolerance 8-). Caldera was based in the begining, I
> believe on RPM (RedHat), but not so much now.  This is newbie talk, so I"m sure
> someone else can give you a lot more insight.  The install is very easy.
> Tom

I don't know what version of Caldera you tried, but 2.2 (their latest)
still uses .rpm packaging.  It's an interesting distribution, but not
nearly as "newbie friendly" as some try to paint it to be.  I got
infuriated with it after a week and moved back to Mandrake 5.3.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator