History:

I've got a dual-ppro system here that locks up on scanning the IDE
bus EVERY time if I try to boot the SMP kernel (even with the latest
kernel installed from Mandrake's FTP site.)

Axalon told me to change a config file somewhere, however, that was
yesterday or Wednesday and that message is on a different machine (my
work machine) which I don't have access to at this time...

Can someone (Axalon???) tell me which file I need to edit to specify
that I've got Pentium Pro CPUs, and once I've done that, what do I
need to do with it??? Compile a new kernel (can someone please tell
me how to get started? Do I just go into the /usr/src directory and
start with "make config"????)

I'd like to get this SMP machine using both kernels, but until I fix
whatever the problem is, I have to use the uni-processor kernel. :-(

Oh, yeah..my motherboard is based on an Intel 440FX chipset, if it
makes any difference. :-)