John Aldrich wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> > It has been my experience to simply disable the onboard sound in BIOS and just
> > install a real sound card.  I got a SB PCI-512  (<$70) and am using the SB
> > Live drivers from Creative Labs.
> >
> Interesting....I've got 16-bit sound on-board my dual-PPro
> 200 (SB16 clone) and it works just fine.... :-) No
> wavetable, but I can just buy a plug-in card for that (SB,
> Turtle Beach, etc) and use that if I want.... :-) (Or, I
> suppose, I *could* pull my AWE64 out of my Windows box and
> disable on-board sound... <G>)
>         John

Yeah,  I didn't like the thought of giving up another slot for something already
built in but I tried EVERY combination of card / settings I could (all the way to
"wiping" the /etc/config.modules file and rebooting between attempts) and the best I
got was a distorted and unintelligible sound file.   BTW how does one restart /
reset the configs short of rebooting?

Joe