On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:40:21 +0100, Alastair Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can't find a completely clear exposition of this - all the usenet
> posts I've found are of the type "look in X, Y and Z" or "it might be
> Q".
>
> I've downloaded and built Garnome in ~/garnome, and would like to have a
> 'gnome2' entry in the login screen's dropdown list.
>
> So far I've found where it's entered - Configurator | System | Login
> Manager, Sessions tab - but there's no indication how this entry is
> linked to anything. (man xdm, which the rather thin KDE 3.0.1 Help
> points to, is also unhelpful, giving far too much irrelevant
> information)

Open a root console and type "chksession -l". It should list all the valid
window manager choices that have been entered. If something's missing, find out
what you you should run to execute it. For example, GNOME has "gnome-session"
and KDE has "startkde". Now visit the /etc/X11/wmsession.d directory. You will
see a set of text files, each with a name beginning with a two-digit number
followed by the name of the environment (GNOME, KDE, IceWM ...). The structure
of these files should be something like this:

NAME=IceWM
ICON=icewm-wmsession.xpm
EXEC=/usr/X11R6/bin/starticewm
DESC=Lightweight desktop environment
SCRIPT:
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/starticewm

Create a text file with a name beginning with a number that has not already
been used followed by the name of the environment (e.g. 02GNOME). Put the
same information as above into the file, but replace the parts after the
equal signs and colon to what suits the environment you wish to enter. So
you could make a file called 02GNOME with the contents:

NAME=Gnome
ICON=gnome-logo-icon-transparent.xpm
DESC=Gnome Environment
EXEC=/usr/bin/startgnome
SCRIPT:
exec /usr/bin/startgnome

Run "chksession -l" again. This time, you should see your new entry amongst
the others. Make sure that you have the new environment installed and that
you have set X to start at boot (you can use XFdrake as root to do this).
Start/restart X (or reboot), and all should be well. If not, you may need to go
through the setup utility for your login manager and add the new entry to it.

Alternatively, you can use the Xtart utility if you prefer to load X from the
command line (negating the need for a login manager).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"After you install Windows XP, you have the option to create user accounts. If
you create user accounts, by default, they will have an account type of
Administrator with no password." -- Microsoft KnowledgeBase article Q293834