> I don't know about targeting network programming.  But the best book
> I've ever seen on C programming is "C How To Program", second edition,

I've heard that Stevens' book is widely regarded to be the definitive
Unix programming text. Others go with Kernighan and Ritchie's book; the
latter is more just a synopsis of the language rather than an intero
programming text.

Personally, I haven't looked at C or other how to program books in
quite sometime (I used one called "variations in C" when I was taking
a C programming course in school) but I'd hazard a guess that many
of them are way too windows or dos-based.