my copy of Paint shop pro requires a bit of time to open, about the same as
opening gimp, on my box anyway, and I often consider lifting the hands away
from the key board to be more time consuming and less ergonomic than keeping
the hands either on or off the keyboard, and consider going for the mouse or
back from the mouse one step, then the action to be an additional step.
Heck we could count the times your finger moves off the mouse and find that
it even requires less finger motion in gimp.
why would you not have selected just the area you want (to save) to crop
before the screen capture, then you save the step of cropping it later? that
is the defualt behaviour if I recall. just mouse the area and hold the left
mouse button and drag over the area and it will save the correct size image
right off the bat...
it is also possible to map any combination of keys to what ever you desire,
you just might loose whatever functionality was previously assinged that key
combo.
you may also not be considering (if you find your way faster) the time
reqiured for the application to open, or that you have to open an app after
you save the screenshot to the clipboard.

On Monday 01 July 2002 12:48 pm, you wrote:Thanks for your helpful response,
et.

I had not yet tried to use Gimp, but thanks to your message, now I have.
>From the first quick look, I'm sure Gimp is going to be an excellent tool.

However, as I followed the scenario you described, I found it to be very
slow and cumbersome by comparison with the very simple two-step procedure
that I have been used to: (1) press Print Screen, (2) click on "Paste" in
any target application.

What you described involves more than 11 separate steps ...
        and then I still don't know what to do
        to crop the captured image to just the portion I want:
(1) Click on K
(2) move mouse cursor up to multimedia
(3) move mouse cursor across to graphics
(4) move mouse cursor across and down to Gimp
(5) click on Gimp
(6) click on file
(7) move cursor down to acquire
(8) move cursor across to screenshot
(9) click on screenshot
(10) click on whole screen
(11) click on OK

Now, I want to crop the image I have captured to just one
small element (not a window) of the screen.

How does one "crop" a captured image with Gimp?

What you described as typical of "winders" is not my experience at all.
(I don't use Photoshop, but Lview, Paint Shop Pro, and Pagemaker mostly.)
There is absolutely not a nano-second delay in any of those to "paste" a
captured image into any one of them where cropping, resizing, and editing
the image is a snap.

I have created a desktop icon for Ksnapshot, as you suggested, but that
does not reduce any of the 11 steps you described above.

Still looking for a much, much more efficient way to replicate the extremely
simple "Print Screen" image capture procedure.

But I sincerely do appreciate your ideas and suggestions ...

Joe