Frank,

Thank you for your prompt reply and inspired suggestion of using 'drakxconf'. I did'nt
know that existed on the command line! Another list member suggested 'mcc', which
apears to do the same thing; up pops the same wonderful box to sort out lifes many
problems. It's amazing.

Having used that tool, after the Xwindow Test a box, it reads :-
           An error has occurred:
           could not open default font 'fixed'.

Using 'startx' creates the fo;;owing message:-
          Font TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
          failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
          Fatal server error:
          could not open default font 'fixed'.

As I have LM 8.2 on two separate root partitions, I can transfer my Nokia 447V + S3
86C386 TRIO 3D/2X graphics card with 4 mg + display 1024 x 786 24 bit screen, details
from one which works to the other which held the same details and did work.

Why it's corrupted, I have no idea, and what do you think the message means?

Thank you for your kind trouble.

Malcolm Candlish.