On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:15:54 -0400
panjur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a FIC VA-503+ motherboard ( most current BIOS update ), with a
> K6-1 300MHZ, 128MB SDRAM @ 100MHZ, Prromise ATA-100 pci card/  hde1 30GB
> ata100 harddisk primary drive, ATI 98 pci 16MB ram. and a dead soundcard
> ALA4000 ( ALSA not supported ).

The ALS-4000 based PCI soundcards should be supported by LM8.2:

  Module snd-card-als4000.o
  ------------------------

    Module for ALS-4000 PCI soundcards

The above is from: /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-6mdk/alsa-driver-0.5.12a/INSTALL ,
contained in the kernel-source-2.4.18-6mdk RPM on your CD's :)

Note: the ALSA 0.5.x series is deprecated, see http://www.alsa-project.org .

> I wished to change the soundcard from the unsupported ALA to and older
> ESS1688, and when I changed the card the system would not reboot! I even
> treid to remove just the ALA , alone without adding the ESS, and it just
> sits at the intial boot screen 'Swanse', proceeds to the harddrive line
> and comes to a halt. I treid to rescue, and upgrade and get the same
> results.

But the original hardware configuration (when restored) works?

> I must state this was not a painless ugrade from 8.1, the patch file
> commands (both the "patch" and 'nonpentium'  produced no results, on a
> lark I tried and succeded with 'nonauto'!)
> What form of witchcarft command and or ritual must I perform to get the
> pci card out and reinstall the isa in? Where Oh where is Kudzu?

[frans@amd frans]$ whereis kudzu
kudzu: /usr/sbin/kudzu /usr/share/kudzu /usr/share/man/man8/kudzu.8.bz2
[frans@amd frans]$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/kudzu
kudzu-0.99.23-4mdk
[frans@amd frans]$ <grin>

> The system has provided rock solid since I upgraded ( with only a few
> minor querks )
> Thanks panjur

Good luck!

    -Frans