> I keep seeing everyone putting '-xvfz'. That's never worked for me. I
> always use 'xvfz', with no '-'. I typed '-xvfz' by mistake once, and I

The problem is that the z is after the f - I would think that it would
be a problem. Sure enough, tar thinks I am able to open a file named
'z'.

GNU doesn't want people using a leading '-'. I figure that's for
political reasons. Other commands need a '-' for options. Consider
if you omit the '-' on 'ls -l' you get 'l: no such file or
directory.' Why try to get people to omit the '-' when using tar?

Long (--) options are nice, but they take too much typing.