Frank McKenna wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Using Mandrake 8.1  Sorry for the long post
>
>I just replaced my CMOS battery and, as expected, received a CMOS error
>message.  Pressed enter to return to CMOS default.
>
>Since I had to remove my video and sound cards to replace the battery I
>thought that I would upgrade my video card at the same time.
>
>Replaced my Matrox Mystique video card with a Radeon 7000 PCI card.  Upon
>boot up, I noticed that the checking for new hardware flashed an error
>message but I could not read it.  Then, after the computer finished booting
>up, the monitor started flashing just before the GUI to enter in the user
>and password.
>
>I then receive dthe following message:
>
>mandrake linux release 8.1 (vitamin) for i586
>kernel 2.4.8-26mdk on an i586 / TTY1
>INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: = disabled for five minutes.
>
>Then the screen started flashing again
>
>Can anyone please tell me what caused this?
>
>TIA
>
>Frank McKenna
>
>You don't have to like it you just have to do it but it is sure fun to win
>
>True Strength lies in Gentleness

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

The hardware detector is NO GOOD on new video cards.

You need new software for the new card.  Drop in your 8.1 install CD#1
and boot selecting "expert" "Update"

Skip everything with a "cancel" except for the X installation.  Just let
it go through its exercises there.

When that is done you should have X, though Radeons in general are not
well supported (ATi is very anal about tech info).

Civileme