When I run chkconfig I get the following:

# chkconfig --add bastile-firewall
Couldn't find used secure level,
You should correct this problem by running /usr/sbin/msec <secure level>

Although I'm sure that msec is all in order, I run it (level 3) as
suggested but still get no further with chkconfig.
Trying to start the service from mandrake control panel just hangs without
starting the service.

Has anyone any pointers please, chkconfig has been working fine up until
today and It'd be helpful to be reassured that I'm on the right track
before I dive into msec.

thanks
Ross