From: Roy Murray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 4:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Apache DocumentRoot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Viron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 10:55 PM

> Shannon,
>
> That is a 403 error, meaning that at some level your permissions are
messed
> up or that you don't have a file named index.html, index.php,
index.php3,
> index.shtml, index.cgi, index.pl, index.htm, Default.htm, or
default.htm.
> Check your permissions all the way from the root directory all the way
down
> to the folder your web files are located in.  (Ie, if your
documentroot is
> set to /home/www/html, permissions need to be set correctly on /home,
> /home/www, and /home/www/html ).
>
> Also check permissions on the files under the documentroot.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Viron
> Project Manager / Primary Developer / Online Operations Manager
> General Education Online
> http://www.findaschool.org/
>

> At 05:13 PM 7/8/2002 +0930, you wrote:
> >Hi Michael,
> >
> >Thanks for that.
> >
> >I have been going through the error_log and access_log and following
> >them when I am accessing the pages. The following entry in the access
> >log is all that I get
> >
> >202.6.132.62 - - [08/Jul/2002:17:05:07 +0930] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 403
312
> >"-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; APC)"
> >
> >I had it working earlier and then decided that I needed to allow
access
> >for user's home dirs as this was not working.
> >
> >Any ideas from this error?? It seems weird seeing that the error_log
> >shows nothing.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Shannon

What did you change to try and allow access the user's home directory.
Apache is fairly Security Safe when the defaults are installed,  but can
become complicated when you set it up for different directory
permissions.
Permissions must be set up for the different directory users.
Roy Murray

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either the sender
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  or the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street