On Wed, 10 July 2002, "L.V.Gandhi" wrote

> For video recording, I have read in many places that
speed
> of HDD should be 7200 RPM.

It's like saying that when you move, you need a 40 cubic
meters truck. It depends on what you have to move.
As for video, it depends on the bitrate of the video
and the rate at which the disk can store data.

>I have one 8.1GB and 20 GB seagate HDDs. On the label
I coudn't
> find anything. Any software to find out?

Not really a software, but you can try that:
- open a terminal;
- type "time dd if=/dev/zero of=junkfile bs=1024k
count=100"
  (don't type the quotes "")

-----
What it does:
 The command time calculates the time during which an
application was run.
 The dd command converts and copies files. Here, the
source is zero, so it keeps copying empty blocks to
the output file.
 The parameters: I asked to copy 100 blocks of 1
megabytes,
so I get the time needed to put 100 megabytes on the
disk (3.15 seconds in my exp). So I can expect to copy
roughly 30 megabytes per second to the disk.

Results:I obtained:

100+ records in
100+ records out

real  0m3.015s
user  0m0.000s
sys   0m0.630s

On another machine, I got 5.65 seconds.
----
As for your problem (storing video), I guess it will not
depend only on the disk. The example I gave were made
without any other software running.
However, doing the same while running a program that
uses
the filesystem, it took more than 30 seconds to complete
instead of 3.15.

Now it also depends on the bitrate of your video stream.
I would say that in most of the cases, the bit rate is
less than 1 MBytes/s, so even a slow disk can make it.

Pascal