> I'm curious about something. compared to the upgrading of KDE from
> version(s) 1.x.x to 2.x.x the upgrade went rather smoothly once you had

Agreed that 2.2.x to 3.0 beta was a minor pain, due mostly to a lot of
dependency conflicts. I have found that upgrading the 3.0 beta1 to 3.0.1
and now 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 goes rather smoothly. I just did that this past
weekend, and it was probably the cleanest upgrade I've done in some
time.

After getting all the 8.1 rpms from ftp.kde.org (or a mirror) one
just has to rpm -Uvh lib* then follow that with kdelibs & kdelibs-devel,
kdebase & kdebase-devel, then the rest of the packages. It helps to
include both the base RPM and its 'devel' RPM if present together on
the command line - otherwise you get dependency conflicts.

Going from 2.x to 3.0 was a bit difficult, but not impossible - but
resolving some of the conflicts was somewhat painful. Removing the
old package(s) following a install seems to have been the way to
proceed.