Hi Aaron,
I downloaded j2ee for linux and I got a .tar.gz file. To
untar this archive you could use "tar zxvf <file>".
As Mark said, you need to have jsdk installed before you can
run j2ee. You can setup your jsdk and j2ee directories
anywhere, just make shure that you set the two (or three
variables to be exact) to the right directories. On my
system, I have the following variables set in the ".bashrc"
file.

#for java1.3
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_03
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

#for j2ee
export J2EE_HOME=$HOME/java/j2sdkee1.3.1
export PATH=$J2EE_HOME/bin:$PATH

This should get your j2ee working. You should be able to
start your j2ee now by typing "j2ee -verbose".

Anand