It's taken me 4 weeks of fairly constant tinkering, adjustment and
experimentation to arrive at the conclusion that it is impossible to
configure my sound card - which seems remarkable as in most ways it is
getting recognised.

Forgive the long post but if anyone has anything constructive to add at least
all the information should be here  :o)

Hardware Configuration

ABIT VP6 mother board
Twin Pentium III processors 1000 mhz
512Mb ram
1 x 40 Gb drives
1 x HP CdROM RW
1 x Adaptec SCSI I/F
1 x Travan SCSI tape
1 x GE Force 2MX video card
1 x Creative Blaster 4.1 Digital

Software

Started with a purchase of Mandrake 8.0 Powerpack because I liked 7.2
Currently using 8.2 because it came on the cover of Linux Today and I hoped
it would self-configure the sound.

The Bios in the machine has been tried with plug'n play switched on and off.
It's currently on

Information

Output from dmesg shows no recognition of a sound card at all, though there
have been times during this saga when I have seen es1371 mentioned.

My /etc/modules.conf is :

alias usb-interface usb-uhci

# ALSA native device support
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major = 116 snd_cards_limit = 1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371

# OSS/Free setup
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

probeall scsi_hostadapter advansys
alias eth0 3c59x

Output from lsmod is:

sr_mod                 15192   0  (autoclean) (unused)
snd-seq-midi            3424   0  (autoclean) (unused)
snd-seq-oss            26112   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      3504   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                43056   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss
snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss            18848   1
snd-pcm-plugin         16144   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-mixer-oss           4704   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
parport_pc             22280   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6624   0  (autoclean)
parport                25440   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
snd-card-ens1371        2208   1
snd-ens1371            10624   0  [snd-card-ens1371]
snd-pcm                33824   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-ens1371]
snd-timer               9568   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi            10688   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-ens1371]
snd-seq-device          4028   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss snd-seq
snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec         25504   0  [snd-ens1371]
snd-mixer              25416   0  [snd-mixer-oss snd-ens1371 snd-ac97-codec]
snd                    35648   1  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss
snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-mixer-oss
snd-card-ens1371 snd-ens1371 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device
snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]
soundcore               4452   7  [snd]
nfsd                   70592   8  (autoclean)
lockd                  50080   1  (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc                 67860   1  (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
af_packet              13896   0  (autoclean)
ipchains               38440   0
usb-uhci               22692   0  (unused)
usbcore                62048   1  [usb-uhci]
3c59x                  26536   1  (autoclean)
st                     28052   0  (unused)
supermount             62308   2  (autoclean)
ide-scsi                8096   0
rtc                     6680   0  (autoclean)
reiserfs              172032   6
advansys               86668   0  (unused)
sd_mod                 11512   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               96060   5  [sr_mod st ide-scsi advansys sd_mod]

The relevant line from ps reads:

 2737 ?        S      0:09 /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -d -b 16 -s 1 -m
artsmes

Running drakxservices shows that both Alsa and Sound are started at boot and
running.  Checking further I find that in Control Centre my board is
recognised as an Ensoniq 5880 Audio PCI using kernel module es1371 (which was
why I used this module when setting up modules.conf)  The configuration tool
produces nothing however and neither does sndconfig.

The IRQ is 11 and is shared between advansys, usb and ensoniq
The ports are cc00-cc3f Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI

Interestingly the PCI report states:

00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 8001
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at cc00 [size=64]
Capabilities <available only to root>

The last line certainly makes me gnash my teeth because I can't see why that
would be the case, however...

I am at the end of my tether.  The card appears to be recognised and has a
module available but has defied all my efforts to get a peep out of it.

If there are any suggestions I would be more than willing to hear/try them
out. As I say, after 4 hard weeks I figure I'm out of ideas and patience.
The only thing I can say for certain is that there are plenty of people
writing to a variety of ngs using this chip-set who have a similar problem.

regards

Daryl

--
The strong individual loves the earth so much he lusts for recurrence.  He
can smile in the face of the most terrible thought: meaningless, aimless