I now have two printers and three directories shared sucessfully, after a
fashion.  The problem is that clearly they are logging in as nobody, so that
they do not have the correct permissions.

I have checked that Micky can read from Anne_Public, write to it, but she
can't delete - I think it is probably best kept that way.

All the home directories are there, but can't be written to, even by the
owner - presumably caused by faulty login.

I'm reading like mad - O'Reilly's Samba book - but so far I can't spot what's
causing the login problems.

Meanwhile, thanks for letting me keep coming back to you.

Anne