Eric Jackson wrote:
> I saw that Suse had an evaluation disk that you can download and try. It
> writes 3 or 4 files to your hard drive but it doesn't do any partioning.
> When I tried that, it was fine. I had a working evaluation setup on my
> computer. Because of that, I bought Suse 8.0. It installed with no problem
> on my desktop. I now have Madrake on my laptop (although it doesn't
> recognise my Intel Wireless II Internet adapter) and Suse on my desktop
> (although I have no CD audio).
>
> Since I couldn't get one distribution installed, I tried another.

That is very good advice!  (Something I had forgotten.)

When I started in Linux, I bought a few distros (some real shareware
type stuff and Caldera Open Linux 2.2).  Fortunately, I did manage to
install Open Linux 2.2 -- it wasn't too bad, IIRC.

Anyway, a little later I joined a LUG and got a stack of 10 to 15
different distros.  Tried to install them -- if they installed I tried
them out for a few hours.  Eventually decided (at that time) to stick to
Mandrake.  Probably half of those distros didn't install at all on my
particular machine(s), and another 1/4 of those weren't user friendly
enough to bother trying.  The point is there are a lot of alternatives
in the Linux world.

SuSE and Mandrake are, IMHO, two good choices.  There are others,
depending on your knowledge, experience, tolerance for frustration,
etc., like Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, GenToo, etc.  Join a LUG, try a
variety of distros.

Randy Kramer