On Saturday July 20 2002 06:32 pm, Marcia wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> I just sent a support email to OSS. Hopefully they can help.

  OSS or the commercial driver vendor?  OSS is Open (ie, free, and open)
Sound System, the commercial vendor most likely  _isn't_.  Just what
vendor driver did you get, anyhow?  A quick search turned up
http://www.opensound.com/   While I believe that Linux's future depends
upon $elling and us buyin software/support, I also feel that the
product needs to remain free open source.

> I checked the irq's. The ethernet and sound are sharing 5. I thought
> that could be the problem however I do not see any free irq's that
> are available. Do I need to free up some irq's from the bios?

   What does 'less /proc/interrupts' say?   I really suspect you've got
a hardware deficiency or a bios mis-config. A decent AC97 should'a been
reocgnized and setup with no effort.  You do have (M$) pn'pray support
turned off in bios, no?  Another good bet is to turn off (M$) APIC in
bios.

In my
> previous LM versions up until 8.1, I always had ethernet at 9. Then
> in 8.1 I could only get it on 5 or 11 and 5 was always with sound so
> I accepted 11. 9 would not accept my ethernet anymore. Now there is
> no 9 or 10 listed and I think 11 is used by the usb-uhci or something
> like that. Can the usb-uhci and ethernet share the irq? What can
> safely share the irq?

    Nothing, altho They would like you to believe it works. The PCI spec
calls for IRQ sharing, but it's sometimes unsuccesful. Search the ML
archive for 'uhci'.  IIRC, there's a quick edit to a modules.conf line
for fixin this.

    I dunno, I don't use a ether, or anything that relies on USB
(universal serial bus, just another way of sayin a failing M$
approach).  Remember His Billness' live presentation of W9x's 'new'
implementation of USB ... instant BSOD televised.  (i'm still
chucklin')

    Does sound work if you remove the ethernet card?  Use linuxconf, or
mcc to make sure harddrake and kudzu are running/started on boot.

 I imagine that sound and ethernet sharing the
> irq is not good. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you very
> much for your attention to this matter.

         No need to be so formal ....... i ain't;)  I'm also runnin out
of ideas ;(   It's real hard to fix hardware problems by email.