On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:50:24 -0400
Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill Davidson wrote:
> > There's a search box at the top of the archive pages. That always
> > works very well for me.
>
> Bill,
>
> Do you have some trick?  It never works well for me -- I either get a
> ton of hits (a pain to look through) or very few, and as often as not,
> no hit in the archive.
>
> Try this:
>
>    * go to, for example,
> http://www.mandrake.com/en/archives/newbie/2002-06/
>    * copy the title of one of the emails into the search box (with or
> without enclosing quotes) (I copied "enlarge a linux partition", an
> email within the first 20 on that page.)
>    * view the results
>
> I never get a hit on an email that I *know* is there.

I got the same result. However, you don't normally search based on the
subject of the email. When I needed to get my sound card working, I did
a search on the chip-set of my sound card: opl3sax. I think it helps to
limit your search to as few words as possible. One word if you can. That
seems to work better.

Also, I use the mail-archive.com site. For example, here's where I would
search the expert site:
http://www.mail-archive.com/expert@linux-mandrake.com/
You can get there from the mandrake site, just above the links for
mandrakes own archives. The search feature for the newbie site appears
to be broken now though :(

Bill