Unfortunately the improvement was *very* shortlived.  I downloaded a
file for
use elsewhere, started to copy it to FD, it crashed and was unrecoverable.

New start, then.   I've re-installed, and have things almost back to where
they were.

Win98 clients can see my shared directories.

[homes] is not working properly:
   If I enable File & print Sharing for Windows Networks
         Clients can see each other
         and the server
         and a folder marked \\username

         Opening this folder shows an apparently empty folder which
cannot be written
to.

   If I remove F & P Sharing etc..
         Clients can see each other
         and the server
         and a folder marked \\username

         Attempting to open this folder fails, citing unknown error.

log.nmbd has this message:

[2002/07/27 13:20:42, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(359)
   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name LYDGATE.NET<1b> for the
workgroup LYDGATE.NET.
   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

I presume that I have missed something that is making this fail.  Any
pointers, please?

I'm now certain that the slowdowns I have experienced are connected with
the
network problems.  When I re-installed everything was a slick as you could
want, but the moment I wrote the smb.conf and hosts files I was back to 20
sec. open times.

Annene